Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Introductions & Announcements! 

--Announcements--

  • Tomorrow (May 23) is the first night of band concerts. Symphonic band, indoor percussion, Mills Park Middle School, and the Panther Creek Jazz band will all be playing. Even if you aren't in one of the ensembles, you really should come; it's good to support the band and the music is actually really good, you might enjoy it. Bring a friend along if you want.
  •  Thursday (May 24) is the second night of concerts, and concert band, wind ensemble and jazz combo will be playing. As I said before you should come even if you aren't in one of these ensembles, the wind ensemble especially is playing some ridiculous music.
     

--Introductions--

For the next few days I'll be doing a little bio for each brass section leader so that you've all got a chance to get to know a little about them before band really starts this summer. If nothing else, it will put a name to a face if you weren't able to attend rookie night, or give you a little bit about who they are and what they'll be like as your section leader.

Today's intro is for the mellophone section leader, which coincidentally is me, Matt Hall.


 So that's me (the guy obviously) in front of the WWII memorial in Washington D.C., where our band trip was over spring break. I've been doing band since 6th grade, and I am a trumpet player. I switched over to Mello last marching season to fill out the 12 mellos they needed, and I have loved it since. Swofford always writes the mellos absolutely sick parts that are a challenge to play, which makes it even more appealing to me personally. Here are some facts about me;

  • Middle School: Salem MS (Go Spartans!)
  • Years of band experience to date: 6
  •  Favorite thing about marching band: Competitions; not necessarily winning, (although it's always nice) but just the feel of competing not only for a title but a crowd reaction is a really rewarding experience that I enjoy a lot.
  • Go-to restaurant: Bojangles or IHOP. For fancier food, Daniels.
I'm really looking forward to next year's marching season and to see what the next year has got in store. Get pumped about the show guys, the Storm is coming!

Tomorrow's bio will be for trumpets! Goldenboy Chris Sefton will be introduced so stay posted and enjoy your Tuesday night.

-Matt Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment